Friday, December 11, 2009

Devoted

Devoted Part of Speech: adjective Definition: committed, loyal



For well over 10 years now I have collected these guys in my life who are my best friends. They are brutally honest and always there to pick me up when I fall flat. I have never dated any of them; the universe has never lined up as to have that be an option so it has rarely been an issue. I have routinely said when explaining them to people that I am “in love” with all of these guys. I have been thinking about that statement lately and decided that wasn’t true. I do deeply love all of them but what I am is devoted. I would give them anything they asked for and there isn’t anything wouldn’t do for them. I treasure these friendships above all others. It is funny to me sometimes because I know that if any one of them were to all of a sudden say hey lets start dating I wouldn’t even blink. I mean who doesn’t want to be with someone who knows you that well. I just don’t see that ever happening. When I do start dating someone I tell them early on that I have these guys in my life and if you aren’t comfortable with that then we can’t be together. I would rather be single for the rest of my life than not have them in my life. No one person could ever fill what they are to me. It isn’t easy to become a part of that inner circle in my life, it takes an extreme amount of trust on my part to let that happen. I wouldn’t be the person I am today without these friendship. The circle may get bigger but it will not ever be smaller. It’s comforting and it always makes me smile. We should all be this lucky.

No comments: